A lot is awry at the moment: political violence in America, white nationalists in the streets, and a general feeling of unease as 5783 kicks off with a renewed sense of dread and antisemitism. A recap of October.
048: Shabbat Shalom, The Middot Project, Nine Days of Av, and First Year of Learning
Shabbat Shalom, y’all! A few quick links before sundown, at which point I won’t be online. The learning and work never rest, so here it is.
This week, my community Nefesh wrapped up its first 3-part Antiracism Training. It was tremendous, lots of work, and so educational and inspiring. We’ll be doing more, and some on Israel and Palestine, too. Here are resources (after the image jump), including a few blog posts and videos I’ve been a part of. I’ve spent quite a long time working and volunteering for Nefesh as of late!
Wednesday of this week marked a year since my first Intro do Judaism class at AJU. Wow! Whirlwind! I’ve learned and done so much and yet feel like I’m only getting started.
Enjoy your challah-day. Those articles and links follow.
Social Justice & Antiracism
- Link of links: 9 days of Social Justice before the holiday next week
- See link above for antiracism resources, as well, also from Nefesh:
- Also at above:
- Jewish antiracism reading for kids of all ages (Kveller)
Middot Practice: Jewish Values, Gratitude, and Repair
- The Middot Project: 9 Days of Av (Nuroots)
- Can Mussar Help Us Repair the World? (Jewish Journal)
- (also included: What is mussar?)
- Mussar, Middot, and Gratitude in a Time of Pandemic (Nefesh)
- Social Distancing and Gratitude Practice (Blue Dove Foundation)
My rabbi on Jewish values practice: The Middot: